Segment Column Sets let you save frequently used views of your Segment results. With Segment Columns Sets it is easy to share meaningful views of customer data with all team members, quickly view the same Segment through multiple lenses, and leverage the same view across multiple Segments.
Below is the same Segment, viewed with two different Column Sets - "Renewal Details" and "Usage - Last 90 Days". Note that the results of the Segment (the specific accounts included) do NOT change when the Column Set is changed. Column Sets only impacts the columns that display when looking at the results for a Segment; the actual results are dictated by the Segment's filters.
click to enlarge
Default Column Set + Unsaved Column Set
When visiting a Segment, by default you will see the Column Set selected as the "Default Column Set" when the Segment was created:
There is an exception to this rule, however. If you customized your view of a Segment prior to the availability of Saved Column Sets, that custom view will still be available until you decide you no longer want it. It will be called "Unsaved Column Set":
If you switch to another Column Set, you will be warned that your Unsaved Column Set will be lost. If you are okay with this, proceed. If you'd like save your view for future use, click the "Save Current Column Set" button.
Creating/Editing Segment Column Sets
To create or edit a Segment Column Set, start by clicking the "Select Columns" button:
This will bring up the "Select Columns" dialog, where you can adjust the columns included in the results display.
On the left-hand side under "Available", check off the fields you would like to add to your view. As you do so, they will display on the right-hand side under "Selected". You can select the following types of fields:
- Attributes - There are three types of fields under "Attributes":
- Attributes - Basic information, such as Owner, Name, Next Renewal Date, Email, etc. These fields can come from your CRM and/or your application; the rest are ChurnZero standard fields.
- Journey Details - Details on an Account's progress through a Journey, including Status, Begin Date, End Date, Days in Journey, etc. This section will only be available for Account Segments.
- ChurnScore History - Distinct fields to display an Account's ChurnScore at selected moments in history (14 days ago, First of Last Month, etc.). These fields allow you to see an Account's ChurnScore changes within your results view. This section will only be available for Account Segments.
- Aggregates - This is roll-up information about the Account or Contact's usage in a selected date range, which is set in the upper right of the "Select Columns" dialog. For each Event your company is sending to ChurnZero, there will be the following options:
- Total Events - How many total times has this event happened in the date range (ex. total number of logins)
- Distinct Contacts - How many unique contacts did this action in the date range (ex. you may have 30 total logins, but that was between 5 unique contacts)
- Most Recent Event - When was the most recent time this event happened in the date range (the date/time of most recent login)
- First Event - The first time this event occurred in the date range (the date/time the first login occurred)
- Event Quantity Sum - Instead of counting the number of instances of the Event (which is "Total Events"), this sums all Quantities provided on the Event(s) in the date range. For example, if you had three "Sent Email" Events in the last 14 days, with 500, 750 and 450 as the Quantities respectively, the Event Quantity Sum would be 1,700.
- Event Quantity Most Recent - The Quantity on the most recent Event in the date range. Using the example above, the Event Quantity Most Recent would be 450.
Once you have selected all the fields you'd like to include, you can drag and drop the fields on the "Selected" side of the dialog to change the order of your columns. To remove a column, click the "X" on that field. Once you are happy with your column set-up, click "OK".
IMPORTANT: Select Columns will immediately update the columns displayed but it will NOT automatically update your Segment Column Set.
If you started from an existing Column Set, you will see "unsaved" added to the end of your Column Set name. If you do not purposefully save the updates made, they will be lost when you navigate away from the view. This behavior is purposeful, so that you can make temporary/ad-hoc updates to your view without having to formally update the Column Set (which could impact other users).
If you DO want to update the current Column Set - or if you want to create a new Column Set - click on the "Save Segment Column Set" button:
This will bring up the Save Column Set dialog. Two pieces of information are require to created/update a Column Set:
- Name - Your name will show in the drop-down of saved Column Sets, so be sure it's concise but clear.
- Share Settings - Your Column Set can be for you only ("Only I can see this column set"), for you + your domain ("Only users in my domain can see this column set") or for all users ("All users can see this column set").
If you want to update the current Segment Column Set, make any desired updates to Name and Share Settings and then click "Save".
If you want to create a NEW Segment Column Set (and maintain the current Segment Column Set as is), provide a new Name, confirm the Share Settings and then click "Save as New".
Switching Between Segment Column Sets
Your personal Segment Column Sets + any Segment Column Sets that have been set (by you or another user) for sharing will appear in the drop-down of saved Column Sets. The list of available Column Sets will be unique to each Segment Type (Account, Contact, Tasks/Activities, etc.).
If/when you change the selected Column Set, that update will only impact you, for that that one specific Segment. In other words, the Column Set that displays is sticky to the specific Segment AND to your ChurnZero user.
Deleting Segment Column Sets
If you decide that you no longer want a saved Column Set, it can be deleted. To delete, start by clicking on "Save Segment Column Set"; you will find the "Delete" button the lower left of the save dialog:
You will be required to confirm that you want to delete the Column Set before the action is performed. Please note that this action is permanent.
If other user(s) are using the Column Set you are deleting, you will be notified of this fact during the deletion confirmation. If you proceed with the deletion, those users' views will be set back to the system default for all Segments where they were using the now-deleted Column Set.
Other Segment View Adjustments - Sorting, Viewing Only Your Accounts/Contacts
In addition to Segment Column Sets, there are two other adjustments you can make to how a Segment's results are displayed:
- Sorting - You can sort by one of the displayed columns. Simply click on the name of the column you want to sort by; click again to reverse your sort. Sorting is unique to each ChurnZero user (i.e. the sorting you do will NOT impact others).
- Note: You can only to sort Attribute columns. Aggregate columns cannot be sorted because such a request could be very large/difficult and the page could time-out.
- Viewing Only Your Accounts/Contacts - Particularly if you are using a Global Segment, it can be helpful to adjust your results to only include the accounts/contacts that belong to you. To do this, switch your view from "Accounts All" / "Contact All" one of the options below. This action is unique to each ChurnZero user (i.e. the changes you do will NOT impact others).
- Accounts That I Own/Contacts that I Own - Will narrow the results to only include accounts/contacts that you are directly assigned to, as any Account Role.
- Account That Are In My Domain/Contacts That Are In My Domain - Will narrow the results to only include accounts/contacts that you are directly assigned to or that are assigned to someone who reports to you.
Searching Segment Results
If you want to search the results of your Segment for a particular record, use the search towards the upper right. Search is only available for Account and Contact Segments.
NEXT STEP: Taking Action from Segment Results