If you're a Segment customer, you know how easy it is to get new integrations up and running. ChurnZero + Segment is the same - simply add a Destination for ChurnZero within Segment and no need to touch any code at all.
Add ChurnZero as a Destination within Segment
- From your Segment UI’s Destinations page click on “Add Destination”.
- Search for “ChurnZero” within the Destinations Catalog and confirm the Source you’d like to connect to.
- Drop in the “App Key” into your Segment Settings UI which you can find within ChurnZero under Admin > Application Keys. Please be sure you are providing the key for your Production instance of ChurnZero.
- Once you’ve completed Steps 1-3, notify your ChurnZero Implementation Specialist or Customer Success Manager. The ChurnZero team will finalize your setup for you. Please note that you must also provide your Implementation Specialist or CSM with your company’s Segment Implementation Details (see below).
Segment Implementation Details
Before setting up ChurnZero as a Destination within Segment, you'll need to select the method through which ChurnZero can identify the Account and the Contact associated with Events sent to Segment.
- Method #1: Account and Contact External IDs on Track Event - The first - and recommended - method is to explicitly include the Account and Contact External IDs as attributes on Track calls.
- If you plan to send any Account or Contact attributes from Segment, they must explicitly be stated as properties on the Track Event call. All information received by ChurnZero will need to be communicated through a property on a Track Call.
- Method #2: Account and Contact External IDs on Identify and Group - The second method is to use the Identify call on every page load.
- Within the Identify call, both the AccountExternalID AND the ContactExternalID traits need to be set.
- You can also use the Group call to identify the Account. But be aware that if you do this, the order of your Segment calls is important; it must be Group then Identify, every time. If the order of calls is incorrect, ChurnZero will not be able to map your data.
- If you plan to send any Account or Contact attributes from Segment, they can be stated as traits on the Identify or Group call.
In addition, you'll need to provide your ChurnZero Implementation Specialist or CSM with the following information:
- List of Segment Events to sync to ChurnZero (REQUIRED) - Provide the names of the Segment Events that should sync to ChurnZero within the Events tab of your Implementation Worksheet. The list of Events that are relevant for your Customer Success team is typically significantly shorter than the full list of Events being sent to Segment.
- The Event Names you provide need to exactly match the Event Names in Segment.
- If your Segment Event Names will not be clear to your Customer Success Team, you can provide a "Pretty Name" for each Event (in addition to the name from within Segment).
- List of Segment Attributes (Account and/or Contact) to sync to ChurnZero (optional) - To sync attributes from Segment, ChurnZero needs the following information:
- The call the attribute is located within (Track, Group, Identify)
- The path to each attribute - ChurnZero will receive data in JSON format and attributes can be embedded as child fields. Tell us exactly how to locate each attribute.
- IMPORTANT: The Segment > ChurnZero sync is real-time, so CZ will only receive attribute information when it is pushed to Segment (i.e. when an action is taken to trigger the call within Segment). This means that attributes will not be populated in ChurnZero until a contact takes an action within your system.