Step 1: Start Your New Segment
To start a new Segment:
1. Click on the Segment section on the left side navigation bar.
2. Decide which type of Segment you want to create and go to that section.
3. Click the blue "Create New Segment" button towards the upper left.
Step 2: Add Filters
To add Filters in your newly created Segment.
1. Click on the gray "Add Filter" button, which appears below the default filter for Account Attribute: IsActive = True.
- Default filter for IsActive = True: We add this filter to your Segments by default because we assume most of the time you want to look at information for your active/current customers.
- To look at inactive/churned customers, click inside the filter's box and change True to False.
- To look at all customers, regardless of whether they are currently active or not, remove the filter using the "x" in the upper right corner of the filter.
2. Select the filter you need from the categories available.
- Account Segment Filters
- Contact Segment Filters
- Event Segment Filters
- Task/Activity Segment Filters
- Custom Table Segment Filters
3. Complete the details within your newly added filter.
- If you click out of the filter before completing all required details you will receive a red "Invalid or incomplete filter" error. Simply click back into the filter to keep working.
4. Repeat this process to add additional filters until your Segment is showing the results you want.
5. If you need to remove a filter, click the "x" in the upper right of the filter box.
6. If you need to edit a filter, click inside the filter box, make the necessary adjustments, then click anywhere outside the filter box.
A record (i.e. Account, Contact, Event, etc.) must qualify for ALL filters in order to be in the Segment. In other words, Segment filters are "AND" filters.
If you need to create an "OR" Segment, check out this article.
Step 3: Save Your Segment
To save the Segment, click the blue "Save" button and fill out the details for your Segment.
1. Name - This is the name that will be used for the Segment all around ChurnZero. Be sure to create a name that is concise but clear. Segment Names must be unique throughout your ChurnZero instance (you will be alerted if you name is not unique).
2. Type - Private Segments are only visible/usable for the person who created the Segment (i.e. you). Global Segments are visible/usable for everyone.
- All ChurnZero users have the ability to create Private Segments. But the option to create Global Segments will only be available to those with the necessary permissions (Admin > User Permission Groups).
- Private and Global Segments will show in two separate categories within your list of saved Segments:
3. Folder - Select which folder you would like your new segment to live. You can choose any existing folder, or simply set it to go to the Default folder.
You can then find you segment in its folder when you select Folder View at the New Segment page:
4. AutoTag (Account and Contact Segments only) - If AutoTag is selected, when an account or contact enters/is in this Segment, a Tag with the same name as the Segment will be automatically applied to the account or contact. And when an account or contact exits this Segment, that Tag will be automatically removed.
- We recommend using AutoTag when the Segment isolates an important scenario and therefore it would be critical to be aware if an account/contact was currently in the Segment. Tags appear at the top of the Account and Contact Profiles, making them easy to quickly review.
- If you turn ‘AutoTag’ OFF for a segment – this removes the tag from all accounts
- Please note that Tags - even those created on Private Segments - are visible to ALL ChurnZero users.
5. Default - Each ChurnZero user may choose a single Segment that is pre-selected when they visit that Segment page; this is called your Default Segment. Selecting the Default option will only impact YOUR view, it will not impact any other ChurnZero users.
6. Favorite - Each ChurnZero user can curate a list of Segments they use most frequently and mark those Segments as "Favorites". Your Favorite Segments will appear at the top of the list of saved Segments, making them quick and easy to access. Selecting the Favorite option will only impact YOUR Favorites, it will not impact any other ChurnZero users.
- You can also quickly select your Favorite Segments by clicking on the gray star within the list of saved Segments. To reverse this decision, click the yellow star.